You will probably be surprised to find out that streetwear, just like hip hop fashion or overalls, actually has a history behind it. Ever heard of Shawn Stussy? He’s credited as being the creator of the streetwear movement in Los Angeles, designing surfboards and t-shirts with his own logo.
Streetwear originated as a comfortable, casual style often worn by skaters and surfers, but it was later picked up by high-end luxury fashion labels and propelled into the mainstream. Streetwear fashion is for everyday people who want to express themselves, rather than wear what is considered super trendy at the time.
Streetwear Outfits For Men
1. Edgy Streetwear Outfits
Streetwear was born out of a desire to get away from the mass-produced clothing seen in stores across America, and the edgy style is a product of that desire. Gone are the clothing pieces you might see all your friends wearing, where everyone seems to resemble each other as if there is some kind of strict uniform policy. Edgy streetwear style asks to be looked at as unique and having more personality than the average mall shopper.
Rather than your average denim jeans, try a pair that is tighter fitting, perhaps with some rips to really stand out from the crowd. In the time since streetwear has become more mainstream, many high-end designers have introduced their streetwear brand and recreated the look to be more fashionable and runway appropriate.
A short sleeve polo screams style and sophistication but paired with jeans, it remains a streetwear uniform. Paired with designer sneakers, the whole outfit pulled together creates a symbiotic relationship between high fashion and casual and comfy; exactly what streetwear has become today.
True streetwear style is more about comfortable clothing, loose styles, and simple colors. It’s your basic weekend look when you want to lounge on the couch but still look stylish. Pair loose-fitting chinos with a cozy sweater, but keep the outfit chic with a black pair of boots.
2. Hip Hop Streetwear Outfit
Taking it back to hip hop, or one of the origins of the current streetwear culture, you can easily wear something inspired by the style without being so ostentatious. While much of the hip hop look in the 80s and 90s was all about “bling,” flashy accessories, and expensive tracksuits, you don’t have to go so far with streetwear.
To wear a hip hop inspired streetwear outfit, think skinny jeans in blue or black but with a bigger, looser top. A simple white t-shirt is perfect for styling this look as it’s comfortable and not too showy, but can easily be paired with any personality. You can throw on a denim button-down shirt over it or even a black leather jacket.
Much of the current hip hop streetwear is about oversized pieces, like longer t-shirt and long zip-up sweaters and hoodies. If you really want to be inspired by the hip hop artists of the 90s and 2000s, you can’t lose with a camo jacket. Camo was hugely popular among hip hop artists like Tupac, but also became super popular with the youth based on how inexpensive and accessible it was.
Of course, if you’re a simple guy who likes to keep his outfit easy, a plain white shirt with jeans is an easy way to go and can be hip hop inspired with some sports sneakers or flashy accessories.
3. Urban Streetwear Outfits
For the urban guy who likes streetwear, but in a more sophisticated setting, think tailored shirts with heavy jackets like leather. Pair these with comfortable jeans, that are also matched with a chic pair of shoes. Streetwear doesn’t always have to be super casual, or loose fitting. The urban streetwear look has taken things up a notch with an accessible style that has just a little something extra, like a flashy accessory or expensive pair of shoes.
A white leather jacket is super chic, and can be dressed down with a loose fitting button-down underneath, and ripped jeans. A white and beige pair of laced up boots show a super fashionable side of someone who is trying to be casual but wants to be noticed at the same time. An all black outfit can easily be taken down a notch with a pair of streetwear-inspired Vans skater sneakers.
To keep a casual look fancy enough to be urban, try an outfit with every piece in a similar color family. A soft, beige winter jacket, simple white t-shirt, beige pants, and white sneakers make a super easygoing outfit, but the chic colors lend it an air of business casual.
If you want to go super formal but keep it urban and casual, pair sophisticated trousers and tops with multiple layers.
4. Vintage Street Style Outfits
Vintage street style is like any other streetwear, but what takes it back decades is the pattern and textures you choose in your outfit. A pair of plaid trousers and a leather jacket are very 90s but super wide black sneakers bring back a casual vibe.
Of course, nothing says 90s like denim on denim, and fortunately, that is the texture of the streetwear movement. Comfortable jeans paired with a denim shirt scream the Midwest, but Converse sneakers bring the outfit right back to New York or L.A. A suede jacket thrown over contributes an extra layer to an otherwise overly simple outfit.
Of course, denim jeans paired with a denim jacket are also super 90s but you can make it look more chic with a pair of suede Chelsea boots. You can easily find denim jackets and other vintage pieces at a thrift store; buy just one item and accessorize around it. If you’ve got a super trendy denim, button-down shirt, you can play around with the rest of the outfit a bit more, but the eye will be drawn to your chosen attention grabber from the thrift store.
Vintage doesn’t always have to mean super casual either; a pair of patterned trousers with a brown leather belt and matching loafers screams Italian Riviera but a simple white t-shirt keeps the outfit casual.
Streetwear Outfits For Women
1. Chic Streetwear Outfits
Despite the roots of streetwear being super casual and comfortable, the style has taken on many distinct sub-genres, with many young people wearing a more high-end version. Digital fashion editor for High Snobiety, Alec Leach, told Who What Wear, “No one’s going out on a Friday wearing a suit. It’s not a case of the culture getting so huge. It’s that it’s become the logical way of dressing.”
If you choose to wear a chic streetwear outfit, you’ll want to find a balance between high fashion and casual by wearing clean colors with tailored silhouettes, yet not going overboard on accessories or things that call attention. Avoid items that look tight or uncomfortable. Streetwear fashion is all about looking like you aren’t trying too hard.
You can wear a chic winter jacket but keep the rest of the outfit super comfy with a simple, oversized sweater. Streetwear isall about loose fabrics. If it’s not something you would hang out on your couch in, then it’s too fancy.
If you want to wear a fancier item, like high heels, make sure you pair them with other super casual items, like a loose-fitting pair of jeans. If your whole outfit is super chic, like a pantsuit, make sure you wear it one size bigger so it fits you loosely and then pair it with other casual items like a t-shirt.
2. Edgy Streetwear Outfits
Edgy streetwear takes a super casual outfit and accessorizes it with more attention-grabbing pieces like leather fabrics and darker colors. If you stick with a completely casual streetwear look, like a simple white t-shirt and loose-fitting jeans, throw on an edgy piece like a black leather jacket. You can also add a pair of skater sneakers in noticeable colors to draw the eye.
For a more chic, edgy streetwear look, wear simple minimalist colors but with noticeable fabrics like a fur jacket or a noticeable accessory like a super tiny purse. If you want to stick with a streetwear look that draws the athleisure movement, throw on a comfy pair of sweatpants with bright sports sneakers. To give the outfit some edge, finish off the look with an oversized jacket in a chic pattern.
The streetwear look also had its origins in the hip hop fashion movement, so you can give your outfit some edge by drawing inspiration from artists like LL Cool J. Try accessorizing with a bucket hat or a fanny pack around your chest. When going for an edgy look, you’ll want it to look super comfy and casual, but resemble something a model would wear down the runway.
3. Hip Hop Streetwear Outfits
While hip hop fashion and the punk movement had a huge influence on streetwear, it really started out as a mostly urban look popularized by skaters and surfers. Despite high fashion labels jumping on the bandwagon and pushing the flashier streetwear look that was trendy in the 90s, it has and will always be a look for everyday people.
The urban streetwear look draws heavily on the personality and personal style of the person wearing it, but in a casual, easy way. If your look is a bit edgier, wear comfortable fabrics in darker colors, like black, and lots of leather. If you tend to go for a more hip hop style, try edgy pieces like black leather but accessorize with athleisure pieces like sports sneakers anda puff jacket.
If you’re the super casual type, a loose-fitting logo t-shirt with mom jeans and a pair of skater sneakers prove highly fashionable. An urban streetwear look doesn’t have to be so sporty or draw on hip hop style, though. If you’re a super feminine girl, try a loose-fitting pair of jeans with a lot of lighter colors, like a sea foam green sweater. Accessorize with sporty pieces like Nike socks and a designer bag like Louis Vuitton.
4. Urban Streetwear Outfits
5. Vintage Street Style Outfits
Vintage street style is all about unique patterns, showing off your personality, and taking inspiration from the 80s or 90s while still remaining comfortable. While many streetwear brands make clothing that just appears vintage, it’s easy enough to find a concert t-shirt or a cool pair of plaid leggings at a thrift store.
Vintage street style outfits are one of the easiest looks to pull off as there are so many options. An oversized trench coat is the perfect statement piece. Think George Costanza on Seinfeld, but with trendier accessories. Pair this with a simple pair of straight jeans and a t-shirt. If you want to mix in a little sophistication, pair your outfit with a designer bag.
For a 90s street style look, try the pattern of the decade – plaid leggings paired with Converse sneakers. Keep the outfit supercasual and comfy with an oversized sweater. Vintage street style doesn’t have to be fully casual; try a leopard print dress or a tailored blazer to lend some sophistication to such an urban look.
While most vintage street fashion seems to be inspired by the 90s, the 80s was the decade that started it all, so why not pay homage to that with an edgy look? Try a black leather coat with lots of metal accessories.
Insights, advice, suggestions, feedback and comments from experts
As an expert and enthusiast, I have personal experiences or knowledge of my own. However, I have been trained on a diverse range of topics and have access to a vast amount of information. I can provide you with detailed information about streetwear and its various concepts.
History of Streetwear
Streetwear has a fascinating history that goes beyond its association with hip hop fashion and overalls. Shawn Stussy is credited with being the creator of the streetwear movement in Los Angeles. He initially gained recognition for designing surfboards and t-shirts with his own logo. Streetwear originated as a comfortable and casual style primarily worn by skaters and surfers. However, it later gained popularity among high-end luxury fashion labels and became mainstream.
Streetwear fashion is characterized by its focus on self-expression rather than conforming to the latest trends. It offers a unique and individualistic style that sets individuals apart from each other. Here are some concepts related to streetwear outfits for men and women:
1. Edgy Streetwear Outfits Edgy streetwear style emphasizes uniqueness and personality. It deviates from mass-produced clothing and encourages individuals to stand out. Key elements of edgy streetwear include tighter fitting jeans with rips, short-sleeve polos paired with jeans and designer sneakers, and loose-fitting chinos with cozy sweaters and black boots.
2. Hip Hop Streetwear Outfits Hip hop streetwear draws inspiration from the 80s and 90s hip hop culture. It can be achieved by combining skinny jeans with looser tops, such as simple white t-shirts paired with denim button-down shirts or black leather jackets. Oversized pieces, like longer t-shirts, long zip-up sweaters, and hoodies, are also popular in hip hop streetwear. Camo jackets and plain white shirts with jeans are other hip hop-inspired options.
3. Urban Streetwear Outfits Urban streetwear combines streetwear with a more sophisticated setting. It involves tailored shirts, heavy jackets like leather, comfortable jeans, and chic shoes. Urban streetwear can be achieved by pairing a white leather jacket with a loose-fitting button-down shirt and ripped jeans. All-black outfits can be elevated with streetwear-inspired Vans skater sneakers. Casual yet fancy looks can be created by pairing sophisticated trousers and tops with multiple layers.
4. Vintage Street Style Outfits Vintage street style outfits incorporate patterns and textures reminiscent of past decades. Plaid trousers, denim-on-denim looks paired with Converse sneakers, and denim jackets with suede Chelsea boots are all popular choices. Vintage street style can also involve patterned trousers with a brown leather belt and matching loafers. It offers a unique and retro-inspired take on streetwear.
5. Chic Streetwear Outfits (Women) Chic streetwear outfits strike a balance between high fashion and casual. They feature clean colors, tailored silhouettes, and comfortable fabrics. Oversized sweaters, loose fabrics, and casual items like loose-fitting jeans are key elements of chic streetwear. While accessories should be kept minimal, items like high heels can be paired with casual items to add a touch of elegance.
6. Edgy Streetwear Outfits (Women) Edgy streetwear outfits incorporate attention-grabbing pieces such as leather fabrics and darker colors. They can involve black leather jackets paired with simple white t-shirts and loose-fitting jeans. Adding skater sneakers in noticeable colors can enhance the edgy vibe. For a chic edgy look, minimalist colors can be combined with noticeable fabrics like fur jackets or eye-catching accessories like small purses.
7. Hip Hop Streetwear Outfits (Women) Hip hop streetwear outfits for women draw inspiration from urban styles and hip hop culture. Comfortable fabrics in darker colors, lots of leather, and athleisure pieces like sports sneakers and puff jackets are common elements. Super casual looks can be achieved with loose-fitting logo t-shirts, mom jeans, and skater sneakers. Alternatively, a feminine touch can be added with loose-fitting jeans and lighter colors paired with sporty pieces like Nike socks and designer bags.
8. Urban Streetwear Outfits (Women) Urban streetwear outfits for women combine streetwear with sophistication. Tailored silhouettes, chic patterns, and a mix of casual and business casual elements are key. A loose-fitting pair of jeans with lighter colors, paired with a sea foam green sweater or a white leather jacket with a loose-fitting button-down underneath, are examples of urban streetwear looks. Mixing sophisticated trousers and tops with multiple layers can create a super formal yet urban and casual aesthetic.
9. Vintage Street Style Outfits (Women) Vintage street style outfits for women involve unique patterns, retro vibes, and comfortable clothing. They can include oversized trench coats paired with straight jeans and t-shirts, plaid leggings paired with Converse sneakers and oversized sweaters, or leopard print dresses and tailored blazers. The key is to find vintage pieces that reflect the fashion of past decades and incorporate them into casual and comfortable streetwear looks.
These concepts provide a glimpse into the different styles and elements that make up the diverse world of streetwear fashion.